bibles and feminism

I just finished ‘syllabus day’ and my head is spinning.

My Spanish professor announced that she will always, only, and without exception speak Spanish in the classroom from this day on. It was like a death sentence to gibberish and chronic headaches every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next 18 weeks of my life. My ‘Critical Studies of the Bible’ professor spent an hour explaining that ‘Old Testament’, ‘New Testament’, ‘BC’, ‘AD’ and so-on are all ‘Christian terms’ which we will specifically NOT make use of in class. My beloved and sacred Bible has now become “bibles” and my Savior Jesus Christ has now become “the historical Jesus”. Oh Lord, I will need Your strength to lovingly make it through this class.

While attending ‘Stigmatization and Victimization’ (yes, that is a class), we discussed OTHERS’ stereotypes of blacks, whites, homosexuals, deaf people, and people in wheal chairs. It’s funny how it’s so easy to verbalize the stereotypes that other people hold, but we are so ashamed and secretive in the stereotypes we have bought-into ourselves. I’m excited to experience how this class will bring uneasy topics into the light and force us to reevaluate stigmas, prejudices, and stereotypes that we ourselves consciously or unconsciously endorse and that our culture endorses. I won’t be at all surprised if this class shocks me along the way… ohh Miami and its lack of diversity.

In gerontology – ‘The study of Aging’ I listened to a 51 year old feminine-sort-of-man discuss the importance of aging and how our misconceptions of the old are dangerous and in great need of change. The most interesting part of class was the last question on the ‘Student Information Sheet’ he asked us to fill out. It read “provide some words – adjectives – to describe favorite teachers or courses you’ve had in the past”. This question brought two thoughts to mind. I automatically respected the professor’s concern for doing his job well and catering to his students as best as possible. However, I hold that teachers should demand respect, which this question does not do. For instance, if every student wrote down that their favorite teachers all wore red leather pants and smoked cigarettes would the professor go out and buy a pair of red leather pants and a pack of cigarettes? No; a professor with self-confidence and self-respect would not aim to become ‘the role of our favorite teacher’; he would aim to be true to his own knowledge and opinions. Or, what if your boyfriend on the first date asked you “What are some words – adjectives – to describe favorite boyfriends or dates you’ve had in the past?” I doubt that relationship would last too long!

And last, but certainly not least offensive, ‘Psychology of Women’ taught by the Feminist of Feminists. Could it be possible to turn even the Olympics into an opinionated debate about women’s rights and feminism? Surely, in this class it was, and it will be. Although, in sympathy of feminism I can understand this point of view IF you do not know your creator and God. I could imagine that IF we were all just people who evolved from apes something as crazy as feminism doesn’t sound so extreme in comparison to the whole evolving from apes thing. Haha, I’ll stop there.

I’m making an assumption -- most students probably don’t walk out of class on the first day knowing that they will passionately disagree with most of what they learn from their professors. This puts me in an interesting position, for I am convinced that I will spend most of this semester mentally debating several of my professors. I don’t think I’m getting a bad education. I fully trust that my professors are educated and well equipped for the jobs they hold. I respect the years and hard work they have put into studying and earning the degrees which have qualified them to teach these classes. I do not, for a second, fool myself into thinking I would be capable of teaching these classes. But that does not prevent me from being convicted in my heart, mind, and soul that I have different foundation beliefs that will strongly contradict some of these classes (excluding Spanish, which will just confuse and frustrate me).

I praise the Lord that He has given me a mind to think for myself. I thank Him that He has shown me discernment along with passion to learn and understand. He faithful taught me this summer what it means to work under an authority, even a Christian authority, which I disagree with upon theology and doctrine. This semester will be a continuation of fighting for truth, submitting with respect to the authority over me, killing my pride, and thanking Jesus ever day for being the solid rock I stand upon. I know that I am getting the best possible education because Jesus is my number one teacher, and He is in control of all the others… yes, that is most defiantly the best possible education. I will enjoy praying for my professors as they drive me to depend more deeply and earnestly upon God, which ultimately makes me extremely thankful for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...your ability to view the context that you are in (teachers with very hostile agendas to christianity) and see the evidence of God's grace in providing opposition to sanctify you reminds me a lot of the works of Charles Spurgeon. Its an honorable disposition to have and one which you will be able to thrive in the grace which Christ has provided you in the Holy Spirit. This is definitely a point of view that i have yet to develop. I am encouraged to grow in this area now after thinking about it and seeing my own shortcomings. Thanks for letting God use you!