Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ

This past weekend I was extremely blessed to hear Susan Heck teach at a church in Mansfield, OH.  Through-out the weekend Susan exposited from 1 Peter 3:1-6 the six characteristics of a godly wife, and from Titus 2 the call to discipleship.  Her teaching was powerful in that it came straight from God's Word, and even after a long week of little sleep it was rejuvenating to be there.  I was especially thankful for her clarity in defining discipleship, which I will share with you here.

In Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth he writes:
For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers.  For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.  I urge you, then, be imitators of me.  That is why I sent you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach them everywhere in every church. (15-17)
Later, Paul reiterates, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" (11:1).  This clear message of "Follow me, as I follow Christ" is pervasive through-out Paul's letters (Phil 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess 1:6; 2 Thess 3:9).  Therefore, living a life worth emulating is essential in Gospel ministry.  Paul teaches, not only through proclamation, but also through the example of his life.  That is the essence of discipleship!  Discipleship involves teaching Gospel truth and Christ-likeness through your entire life.

Being taught about discipleship refreshed me so greatly because Susan not only explained it, but she also lives it.  Even during a short weekend God allowed me to learn from Susan's life; specifically from her example in Scripture memorization.  Susan has personally memorized 23 books of the New Testament word for word.  Her speech is rich evidence of her knowledge of the Scriptures, and it blessed me to spend time with her.  Never before had I spent time with someone in whom the Word dwelled so richly.  Her discipline of storing away God's Word in her heart and mind is a beautiful example, worthy of emulation.

Thanks to Susan's godly example I have begun memorizing Ephesians 1-2.  I have chosen these two chapters in light of Susan's wise advice to memorize chapters or books instead of the random verse method.  However, I have historically struggled to stick with memorizing longer passages of Scripture.  So, as a form of accountability, and prayerfully an encouragement to others, I will post the Scripture I am memorizing along the right column of my blog.

My only last thoughts are these...
This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it.  For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. (Joshua 1:9)
His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither.  In all that he does, he prospers. (Psalm 1:2-3)

No comments: