The Cross and Christian Ministry by D.A. Carson

The Cross and Christian Ministry
Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians

My pink highlighter died on page 89, due to the excessive percentage of D.A. Carson's writing that I highlighted.  Good thing I always carry several back-up highlighters with me.

Evangelical Christians love to talk about 'Gospel-centered' and 'cross-centered' this-and-that, but most of us say it more because it's catchy than because we understand it's theological implications.  This book can make all the difference.  Through his exposition of 1 Corinthians, Carson presents a cross-centered view of preaching, the Holy Spirit, factionalism, Christian leadership, and "world Christians".  His writing reveals deep wisdom from Scripture, mixed with pointed questions and application, making 1 Corinthians freshly relevant to personal ministry.

Carson writes, "The cross not only establishes what we are to preach, but how we are to preach.  It prescribes what Christian leaders must be and how Christians must view Christian leaders.  It tells us how to serve and draws us onward in discipleship until we understand what it means to be world Christians."  It is not enough to make the content of our preaching the cross, because the cross radically transforms our every thought, approach, action - our entire lives.  This page-turner changed my prospective on my personal leadership, as perhaps even more deeply, my view of the Christians leading me.  I can honestly say that Carson drew me closer to the cross as he taught me to re-evaluate Christian ministry with new clarity and humility. 

No comments: