Death by Love by Mark Driscoll

Death By Love
Letters From The Cross

Driscoll has compiled twelve letters addressing grievous sins and sufferings of men and women within his ministry.  Within each letter Driscoll includes a portrait of God (because to remain true all theology must begin and remain God-centered), an examination of sin, and a correlating effect of Jesus' death as the solution to the sin problem as dictated by God.  Each letter brings to light a specific application of Jesus' death - deepening the relevance of Scripture to the most gruesome issues.  His letters address topics such as: Demons Are Tormenting Me, Lust Is My God, He Raped Me, My Dad Used to Beat Me, My Wife Has a Brain Tumor, and I Hate My Brother.  Driscoll explains, "In doing so I am following in the example of many books of the Bible that were essentially letters written from a Christian leader to someone he loved" (p. 13).  Just as Paul wrote to the suffering and sinful in the early church, Driscoll writes these letters for men and women of the 21st century.  This book is absolutely necessary for counselors, pastors, and anyone serving in full-time ministry.

No comments: