Living When Dying is Gain

Nearly 6 months ago I was asked if I would be willing to go anywhere for the sake of the Gospel.  To my shame, my thoughts silently echoed a cold and fearful no.  I lived in my hope of the perfect life of seminary, marriage, comfort, leisure, success, vacation, and throw pillows.  My joy was shifting ever closer as my dreams seemed to be evolving into reality on earth.  I prayed for the things I wanted just as often as I prayed against the inconveniences I detested.

In the short months since then, God mercifully tore away my hope and joy; replacing it with His truth, His hope, and His joy.  Through out this season, I have much more deeply resonated with the words of the forefathers and saints through-out Scripture.  I am particularly thankful for Paul's words to the saints in Philippi as he expresses:
It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me.  Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.  I am hard pressed between the two.  My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.  But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.  Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again (1:20-26).
Because of the power of Jesus' death and resurrection Paul did not allow himself to be handicapped or enslaved by anything, even the thought of his own death.  Paul pursued an eternal desire that Christ would be honored in his body, whether by life or by death.  Therefore, his life was devoted to a labor of love for God and for others which abounded in fruitful service.  The influence and ministry Paul claimed has been outweighed by few through-out history.  Nevertheless, Paul valued his life as rubbish in comparison to the presence of Jesus Christ after death.  This is not to say that Paul was disgusted by his life.  Rather, the opposite.  Paul found great joy in life, but it simply could not compare to the immeasurable riches in Christ Jesus.  As a result, he lived in more freedom than most men or women will ever fathom.

Paul's words guide me as I consider the true and joyful meaning of Easter.  Just as Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ conquering death, his children also no longer need to fear the sting of death.  In Paul's first letter to the Corinthians he writes:
Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (15:54b-57).
This morning at The Oaks Community Church, Pastor Kevin taught from this passage.  As Kevin preached I was refreshed by the freedom that God has provided us in Christ.  Through Jesus' resurrection from the grave, death was swallowed up in victory and it can no longer poison our lives.  We have true, eternal life in Christ that cannot be stolen by the venom of death.  "For I am sure that neither death nor life... nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38,39).  Nothing can prevent God from being glorified in my body, not even death.  Therefore, I need not fear man, pain, or death.  Only God is worthy of our fear as well as our eternal praise.

God's grace can not be contained any more than joy in Christ can be killed.  Christ rose from the grave, which is why all of His children rejoice together on this sweet Easter Sunday.
Never was living beauty so enchanting as a dying Savior. - C.H. Spurgeon
I thank God that my answer today is much different.  YES - I would joyfully, humbly, and willing go anywhere for the sake of the Gospel.  Where the Lord leads is the best place for me to be.  I would fear going any other direction.

No comments: